I am restless. In less than 3 days I will be competing in my FIRST CrossFit competition, The Diablo Games.
I am just an excited ball of energy right now!! I train day in and day out and really should be well prepared for Saturday. Especially since I know 3 of the 4 WOD's Only one WOD has me freaked out and that is WOD #2. Here are the WOD's for you to see:
Complete an 8 minute AMRAP of:
- 1 Clean & Jerk (75/45)
- 1 Ring Row
- 3 Single Unders
- 2 Clean & Jerks (75/45)
- 2 Ring Rows
- 6 Single Unders
- 3 Clean & Jerks (75/45)
- 3 Ring Rows
- 9 Single Unders
… Continue adding 1 rep every round to the Clean & Jerks/Ring Rows and 3 reps every round to the Single Unders until time expires.
Find a 2 rep max Shoulder-to-Overhead lift.
- The athlete will have exactly 6 minutes to successfully complete 2 unbroken (without reracking) lifts.
- The lifts may be a Strict Press, Push Press, Push Jerk, or Split Jerk. The athlete may use any combination of these lifts as well.
- There must be complete control of the bar overhead with feet together for the reps to count.
- The athlete may drop the bar from overhead on the second lift, but will be required to pick it up on their own to replace on the rack for any subsequent lift attempts.
- Clips must be used for each lift.
- The bar will start on the rack unloaded. On "3,2,1,Go" the athlete will load the bar on their own to the desired starting weight.
- The athlete must have both lifts completed BEFORE the 6 minute cutoff for it to count.
Max Length Bar Hang
- The athlete will have 1 attempt at a max length bar hang.
- Athletes will be able to choose which bar to hang from.
- Athletes may use any grip they choose with the exception of interlocking fingers above the bar.
- Arms may be bent or straight.
- On "3,2,1,Go" the athlete must be in the hang position. Once the athlete drops time is stopped.
For Time Complete:
15, 12, 9, 6, 3 of
- Wall Balls
* 10 yard “Weight Drag”
* 10 yard “Weight Drag”
- Athletes will start at their assigned Wall Ball station with their Wall Ball on the ground in front of them. At “3,2,1,Go” athletes will pick up the Wall Ball and begin their set of 15. Once 15 good reps are completed the athlete will go to a designated lane where they will grab a handle attached to their weight stack. They will drag the weight stack, by pulling it backwards, approximately 10 yards to another designated area. At this station they will set down the handle, go to their assigned Deadlift bar and complete 15 good Deadlifts. Upon completion of the Deadlifts the athlete will grab the handle of their weight stack again and drag it back, in the same manner, to the Wall Ball station where they will begin their set of 12. Athletes will continue this format until the last set of 3 Deadlifts is completed OR the time cap is reached.
- 12 minute time cap.
Okay, so why does WOD 2 have me freaked out?? A few reasons. I struggle with overhead lifts. I suffered a shoulder injury in 2001, had surgery, years of physical therapy, and yet that shoulder still nags me. I can feel it "snag" when I lift something heavy overhead. My 2 rep max overhead lift is 75 pounds. And while I'm proud that I can lift that much over my head, I know it's not going to be enough to win WOD 2. And then adding insult to injury, the second half of WOD 2 is a max length bar hang. I have like baby hands. Seriously they are so small that I have a heck of a time wrapping them around the rig. What's a rig. Here's the rig. Basically an adult set of monkey bars.
I have tried all sorts of grips, tape etc., and so far the longest I have been able to hang before my hands start to pull and rip is 7 seconds. Sigh. It doesn't hurt my shoulder, or wrists, or anything else. It's just my freaking hands. I think I have a deformity. So I'm looking at scoring MAYBE 85 points for the 2nd WOD and there are women in my division who can overhead lift way more than that. So I've resolved that while I'll probably finish last in WOD 2, I need to bring my A Game for WODs 1 and 3, and hopefully WOD 4 will be kind to me and not include any rig or running. If I can score well on the other WOD's then I have a chance of not finishing last. Not that I would really care about finishing last, I just don't want to!
One benefit is that I am in the last heat of the Women's Division which means that I can cheer everyone else on, see what techniques they use for WOD 2, get myself all psyched out by watching my fellow athletes kick serious butt and then go and give it all I've got!!
Regardless of what place I finish in, I am a winner for even attempting a competition, AND I get this totally cool shirt!
In celebration of the Diablo Games, I went and had my nails done today! I picked Diablo Red. Was there really any other choice??
What do you think of my upcoming competition?? Any advice for me??