Jenny's Top 5 Tips to Help You Lose Weight

by jennifer3. June 2013 20:30

People often ask me "Jenny, how did you lose all that weight and how have you kept it off?" Looking back on the past 4 1/2 years, I did a series of small things to tweak my diet that alone would not add up to 212 pounds, but together, they made a world of difference.

Here are my TOP 5 tips to help you on your weight loss journey!

1. MEAL PLAN!! I learned very early on in my weight loss journey that if you fail to plan, then plan to fail! I plan all my family dinners, and have generally always had the same thing for breakfast and lunch. I also avoid eating out. Fast food meals and even “healthy” restaurant foods are not only higher in calories, but full of additives and flavorings. We also tend to eat more when we eat out. Preparing food and eating at home is cheaper, healthier, and more fulfilling.

2. MAKE FRUITS AS ACCESSIBLE AS CHIPS! Wash, cut up, and store fruits such as grapes, melon, kiwi, pineapple, and apples in reusable containers in the fridge so they're easy to grab. Make sure they're right up front at eye level so they're the first thing you see when you open the fridge door. I often buy my fruit already washed and cut-up and this makes it even easier for me to stay on plan! I also don't bring chips in the house!! Throw out or give away the junk because if it's not in your kitchen, you can't be tempted to eat it.

3. USE SMALLER SIZED PLATES! When we prepare a plate of food, we feel the need to fill it up completely. If you start out with a smaller-sized salad plate, there's only so much you can pile on, so you'll end up consuming fewer calories.

4. DRINK MORE WATER!!  I can't stress this one enough. You should always have your water bottle within arms reach. Try to drink 2 cups of water 20 minutes before each meal. And how much water should you drink? You should strive to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces every day.

5. TRACK TRACK TRACK! Write down every BLT (bite, lick, taste.) Sneak a handful of your kids' goldfish crackers while you are packing their lunch? Write it down. Sample a spoonful of mac & cheese just to make sure the noodles are cooked enough? Write it down. All those BLT's will ADD UP! There are plenty of free programs available online like My Fitness Pal, Spark People, or you can keep a journal with you and record it the good old fashioned way!!  Tracking really opened my eyes to how much I was really eating!

And there you have it! My top 5 tips to help you lose weight by making some simple tweaks to your diet!!

You can "like" me on Facebook for more tips to help you on your path to a healthier lifestyle!

I'd love to know if you try any of these and how they help you on your journey!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Heather Johnson
Heather Johnson
6/3/2013 9:55:56 PM #

Drinking more water and cutting out other drinks really helped me lose my baby weight. I also exercised and ate healthier, although I generally eat pretty healthy. I managed to lose all my baby weight by 5 months postpartum.

Erica Sandwall
Erica Sandwall
6/3/2013 10:09:01 PM #

I eat fruit all the time, frozen and fresh.

Corinne
Corinne
6/3/2013 11:38:56 PM #

Congrats on your successful weight loss. You look amazing! I agree, tracking your food definitely helps. I find I often will forego a snack because knowing I have to log it makes me think twice about how badly I want it. It also keeps me from wasting calories on junk food because I don't want to give up my afternoon snack or dinner to stay in a healthy calorie range.

Rebecca Ingham
Rebecca Ingham
6/4/2013 2:34:57 AM #

This is such great advice and congrats on the weight loss! So inspirational! I know for me, when I slack on of keeping track, I start to put weight back on. Some days I just don't want to do it, but I'm realizing more and more that is what works for me. Thank you for sharing all your tips!

Tif
Tif
6/4/2013 2:54:08 AM #

Love that you're encouraging the fruit instead of discouraging it because of the sugars. I think that especially for people just starting out making changes, the idea of limiting fruit is so intimidating and backwards from all the healthy things we've been taught. Sure, later on you may find it works better for you to limit certain fruits. But as far as just a general weightloss tip-I cringe every time I hear people talk about NOT eating fruit...and sneaking snacks in to fulfill the need for sugar they're feeling!

emma @ a mom runs this town
emma @ a mom runs this town
6/4/2013 8:39:44 AM #

Great ideas!  You are such an inspiration!

These are all great tips and they have obviously worked very well for you. Water is huge for me as well as planning ahead. Nothing worse than being hungry and not having anything healthy to snack on. I also try not to keep bad stuff in the house, it's too easy to give in.

Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired
Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired
6/4/2013 10:15:34 AM #

Congrats! You look amazing! I love your tips. I have got to start meal planning. Every week I say I'm going to do it and then the days get away from me and I find myself staring into the cupboards and fridge looking for something to make. I find tracking helps too and need to focus on that as well.

Natalie Z
Natalie Z
6/4/2013 11:23:12 AM #

You are so inspiring! A lot of the tips you put I do as well. Planning and availability of healthy options are so important!

Deb
Deb
6/4/2013 11:24:34 AM #

Love these tips. Congrats on your weight loss. I need to give these tips a try Smile

amber whitehead
amber whitehead
6/4/2013 11:30:48 AM #

Thanks for the great weight loss tips.

Amber Edwards
Amber Edwards
6/4/2013 12:44:40 PM #

Wow, you look so amazing! You are a strong woman! You have perfect tips there! I know I do so much better when I follow all those tips than when I think, "oh, I can do it without writing everything down" well, it's just not true. That is when my weight starts to creap up again.

Kristina Vanni
Kristina Vanni
6/4/2013 1:29:15 PM #

All I have to say is WOW.  What an inspiration!  I can't wait to read more posts on your site!

cindy b
cindy b
6/4/2013 1:46:07 PM #

Wow you look amazing!! Good for you!! xo xo Thanks so much for the incredibly inspriring post! xo xo

Jina
Jina
6/4/2013 1:54:59 PM #

Great tips! If I avoid having junk in the house and avoid eating out, I eat healthy. So those are key for me, too. Congratulations on your weight loss! You are inspiring!

maria @ close to home
maria @ close to home
6/4/2013 3:06:13 PM #

what great success.  Also thanks for the tips. I have a tween that I need to teach a little about nutrition these are helpful guidelines

Jadey
Jadey
6/4/2013 3:12:14 PM #

These are great tips and I must say they do work! I have lost my baby fat too because of these.

Deanna @mommyGAGA
Deanna @mommyGAGA
6/4/2013 4:30:09 PM #

Wow, this is amazing! Great tips, thanks for sharing your success!

Congrats on your weight loss!  You look amazing!  Love your tips too.  I live in Arizona and drink a TON of water, it is sooo hot here.  I definitely need to make more healthy snacks available, especially fruit!

Heather McD
Heather McD
6/4/2013 8:10:52 PM #

You look amazing and beautiful!  Congrats on your weight lose.  I drink water all day long and we have lots and lots of fruits and veggies available.

MELISASource
MELISASource
6/4/2013 11:46:01 PM #

These tips are very helpful! Number 2 is the one that I am really trying to work on. I am desiring to lose some weight myself, so this is very timely for me. Thanks for sharing!

mel
mel
6/5/2013 12:22:45 AM #

YOu look totally awesome! What great tips you shared!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
GiGi Eats Celebrities
6/5/2013 2:22:23 AM #

You look absolutely STUNNING! Stunning I tell you Smile

Jennifer Land
Jennifer Land
6/5/2013 2:27:16 AM #

You are such an inspiration!!!!! WOW-ee! Smile
Thanks for these tips.  I agree with you on every single one.  I've lost a lot of weight through those methods, and it really REALLY works.

Anne
Anne
6/5/2013 12:26:10 PM #

Oh, yes, I think I am going to use these!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Ja @Ja on the RUN
Ja @Ja on the RUN
6/5/2013 7:03:20 PM #

I don't skip breakfast! I realized that I eat less through out the day and more energized when I eat a a healthy breakfast. Smile