Last year my oldest daughter and I had a "mother-daughter" book club and read A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. We both absolutely loved this story. We laughed, and we cried. It made us think about our own dog, Matthew, and what he might be thinking when we talk to him, or he looks at us in his special way. We know his moods based on his ears. He has his playful ears, his tired ears, his content ears, his working ears. Working ears? Yes, working ears. Matthew is a highly trained service dog, much like sweet Ellie in one of the supplemental novels in A Dog's Purpose series. Matthew provides all of us with a non-judgemental sounding board and I honestly can't imagine our lives without him.
A few days after Haley and I finished the book we were chilling on the couch watching Jeopardy and the trailer for the movie came on during a commercial break. We both kept looking at each other, like "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" And then we both became hyper-focused on what we were watching. By the end of the commercial we had tears streaming down our faces. Go ahead, watch the trailer below and see if you don't have wet stuff coming out of your eyes.
Right? If you are a dog lover, this movie will fill you with all sorts of emotions!!
From the film: "A DOG’S PURPOSE, is a sweet and lovable family film that shares the soulful and surprising story of one devoted dog (voiced by Josh Gad) who finds the meaning of his own existence through the lives of the humans he teaches to laugh and love. Told from the perspective of “everybody’s best friend” the film highlights the importance of familial bonds, and the unconditional love we have for our best friends. The movie stars Dennis Quaid, Britt Robertson, K.J. Apa, and John Ortiz."
If you'd like to WIN a $25 Fandango Gift Card, simply leave me a comment telling me your favorite breed of dog. I will select a random winner on Friday January 27th, the release day of the film.
My favorite breed of dog is the Labrador Retriever. I also love Great Danes, but have never had one of my own. My house is too small. LOL. I like big dogs.
My oldest daughter. My sweet little Pixie. The one who made me a mama. Oh my. You have turned 13. A teenager.
I'm still not quite sure how you went from this
To this. A beautiful, smart, punny, young woman. Yes, punny. YOU LOVE PUNS!!
As you turn 13 there a few things you ABSOLUTELY love.
The flute. You decided you really wanted to learn to play an instrument and together we decided on the flute. Haley, you are a natural born flute player. I know you work hard, but you are really really good! I am so excited to see where your musical talent takes you. You've asked to go to band camp this summer, and your daddy and I are going to make that happen. We are so proud of you.
Reading. YOU LOVE TO READ! You've always loved to read, but this year you've really embraced what it means to be a true lover of the written word. And that makes me so proud. You even dressed up as a book nerd for Halloween. You rock, kid.
This year you've also become obsessed (just like your mama) with the Broadway musical, Hamilton. You know all the words to all the songs. Not just on the original cast recording either, but all the words on the mixtape too. Your birthday party invitations even reflected that you are a true #HamilKid
You have made a great group of friends and even little sister Ella is included in that very elite group. That doesn't surprise me too much. You and Ella have always been two peas in a pod.
Your squad is funny, smart, and loyal.
And you are smart! So smart! You qualified this year for the Duke University Talent Search. You were invited to take the ACT as a 7th grader, and you took it and did very well!! Based on your scores you qualified for the Duke Summer Camp programs. But you decided you'd rather go to band camp. You are already learning how to make the hard decisions, and looking at the bigger picture. You are pretty amazing.
Happy 13th Birthday, Haley! I'm so excited to see you continue to grow into a dynamic, passionate, determined, young woman.
I love you,
Nearly 12 months ago I shared my desire to complete the 2016 Goodreads Reading Challenge!! I set a goal of 104 books and today I hit that goal!! Not all of the books I read are listed below, but rest assured, I have read well over 104 books this year. About 10 of those 104 books are longer children's books that I LOVE and read this year to my story time crowd. But if I included each and every book I read aloud to my kids, and kids I read to in the library, I'd be well over 300 books this year!!
1. North America COMPLETED Still Life With Crows
2. Africa COMPLETED The Birth of a Nation: Nat Turner and the Making of a Movement
3. Antarctica COMPLETED Ice Limit
4. Europe Completed The Book of Life
5. Australia COMPLETED Truly Madly Guilty
6. A banned or challenged book COMPLETED And Tango Makes Three
7. An award winning book (Pulitzer, Hugo, Man Booker, etc.) COMPLETED Grammy Award Winner A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety
8. A book with LGBT matter or character(s) COMPLETED A Little Life
9. A book your favorite author loves COMPLETED Things Fall Apart Lin-Manuel Miranda's favorite book :)
10. A retold fairytale COMPLETED The Royal We
11. A Young Adult book COMPLETED Blood Red Road
12. A history book (fiction or non-fiction)Salt to the Sea
13. A book where you have seen the movie, but not read the book COMPLETED Me Before You
14. A book from the NYT Bestseller list COMPLETED Pretty Girls
15. A book with the point of view of an immigrant COMPLETED Hamilton: The Revolution
16. The first book you see when you walk into a library or bookstore COMPLETED As Night Falls
17. A debut novel COMPLETED. A Discovery of Witches
18. Published this year (2016) COMPLETED Beyond the Ice Limit
19. Based entirely on the cover COMPLETED The Royal We
20. Own but never read COMPLETED The Girl in the Red Coat
21. A book by an author you never read before COMPLETED. Into the Wilderness
22. A book recommended to you by a friendly librarian COMPLETED. The Paper Magician
23. A book by a Nobel Prize winner COMPLETED A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety
24. Mythology (not just Greek) COMPLETED American Gods
25. A book written by someone born the same year as you COMPLETED https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
26. Dystopia COMPLETED. The Girl with All the Gifts
27. Reread of a favorite book COMPLETED What Alice Forgot
28. A book about books COMPLETED The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
29. A book a child/teen/someone younger than you loves COMPLETED Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes My daughter Haley LOVES this book!
30. A book about/set by the sea COMPLETED Wreckage
31. A book with two authors COMPLETED Crimson Shore
32. Author from your own state, province, or country COMPLETED Out of the Easy I was born in Detroit, and so was Ruta.
33. A book with the name of a person in the title COMPLETED Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
34. Science Fiction COMPLETED Shadow of Night
35. Fantasy COMPLETED https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
36. Wild card COMPLTED The Glass Magician
37. Wild card COMPLETED The Master Magician
38. Wild card COMPLETED Bird Box
39. Wild card COMPLETED The Cabinet of Curiosities
40. Wild card COMPLETED The Last Anniversary
41. Wild card COMPLETED The Widow
42. Wild card COMPLETED Where They Found Her
43. Wild card COMPLETED The Luck Uglies
44. Wild card COMPLETED Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City
45. Wild card COMPLETED Hamilton: The Revolution
46. Wild Card COMPLETED Finding Jake
47. Wild Card COMPLETED The House Girl
48. Wild Card COMPLETED Alexander Hamilton
49. Wild Card COMPLETED The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers
50: Wild Card COMPLETED The Nest
51. Wild Card COMPLETED A Dog's Purpose
52. Wild Card COMPLETED My Best Friend's Exorcism
And additional books read:
53. Wild Card COMPLETED Calling Me Home
54. Wild Card COMPLETED The Underground Railroad
55. Wild Card COMPLETED The Invisible Library
56. Wild Card COMPLETED Like A Charm
57. Wild Card COMPLETED The Lilac Girls
58. Wild Card COMPLETED The Gates of Evangeline
59. Wild Card COMPLETED The Portable Veblen
How did you do with your 2016 reading challenge??