For the third consecutive year, the kids and I will #PushAwayTheScreen and join in with the Tampa Bay Bloggers on April 18th in Tampa's most colorful running event, COLOR ME RAD!!
In 2013, the husband joined us.
In 2014, it was just the kids and I.
And in 2015....I'm not exactly sure.
Ronin is still healing from his broken leg. And while he's now out of his cast, he's in a big walking boot, and honestly I think that 3 miles might be a little much for him right now. Plus, he has ONE speed at events like this...FAST! So I don't think I can get him to slow down and walk. My mama gut is telling me he needs to sit this one out. Though I'm sure he'd LOVE to get that big black boot covered with amazing COLOR!!
This year, for the 2015 Tour You’ll run through eight color stations where our volunteers will cover you from head to toe in pink, yellow, green, blue, and violet. And new this year....THE COLOR GEL!!! And this year they are promising the RAD color bombs are packing twice the punch!! Double the color stations guarantees that our tried and true color bombs will be raining down on you from 5K start to finish. Our color bombs are the reason the phrase “oldie, but a goodie” was created.
You can sign up HERE and use the code TBB40 to save 40% off your registration!
But I have 6 (yes 6!!!) registrations to give away!! All you need to do is leave me a comment telling me what your favorite color is, and who you'd like to bring with you! I'll give away 3 sets of 2 registrations! I'll randomly pick a winner on Friday April 10th.
Good luck and I hope to see you on April 18th!
Disclaimer: Color Me Rad provided me and the #TampaTrio registrations to the event.
The kids and I have done quite a few color themed runs together. They are super fun and such a great way to be active together and #pushawaythescreen.
Having done as many races as we have we've learned a few things along the way, and I'm here today to share our top 5 tips to having FUN with kids while participating in a color run!
My kids love to be silly and aren't afraid to get out there and shake their groove thing!! Ronin is on stage showing off his best dance moves, while Ella is on stage with the hulu-hoop. Haley is in the front of the stage cheering them on. Just chill out and let the kids be kids. If you arrive early enough you won't be stressed out by time constraints.
- ARRIVE EARLY for the pre-party!! Your kids will love the opportunity to get colorful before the race even starts!!
- PROTECTIVE GEAR!! If you think that the color might bother your little runner's then by all means let them wear protective gear! We do goggles or sunglasses to protect the eyes, and bandanas to help prevent them from ingesting too much color.
- LET THE KIDS SET THE PACE!! You know your kids, and you know what they are capable of. This is NOT the race (in my honest opinion) to go out and set a PR. This is a race to go out and HAVE fun. Let the kids decide when and how fast they will run. Maybe they won't want to run at all. Be okay with that. Maybe they'll want to run and you don't, that's okay too! Just have the discussion in advance, set up a plan, and chill out! My girls wanted to walk, my son wanted to run. Fine with me. We set up a plan. Ronin would wait for me at each color station, we'd get colorful together, and then he'd go off on his own, and repeat, repeat, repeat.
- COLOR!! Let the kids decide how much color they want!! Seriously, it's just color. It will wash out (eventually!!) Just brush them off with a towel before they get in the car, and shower when they get home! NO BIG DEAL!
There is seriously NOTHING BETTER than watching your kids be active and HAVING FUN while doing it. The smiles on their faces makes it all worth it.
Have you done a color themed run with your kids? Any tips to making it MORE fun??
Color Me Rad made its first appearance in Tampa last year. My family of 5 participated and we had fun!! My husband decided he wanted to try to run, and Ronin loves to run, so those two headed off together. I stayed back and wogged with our girls. We all met up at the finish line.
We've been invited to come back and get colorful on May 24, 2014 and I'm already excited just thinking about it! I'll even have 2 FREE race registrations to give away!!
If you don't win one of my giveaways, you can register here and use the code RAD4JENNIFER25 to save 25% on your registration!!
What do you get for your $47.00 registration fee?? Along with an awesome T-shirt, you will get a pair of sunglasses (that my friend Denise from RunDMT swears are best sunglasses EVER!!), a race bib, a donation to a local charity, a decal for your car and some swag from the Color Me Rad sponsors. All of these items can be picked up at packet pick up before the race. You'll also be able to buy additional color bombs and totally tubular Color Me Rad gear at the packet pick up locations.
I'd love to see you out there getting colorful!!
Would you like to join us at this sensational event?
Color Me Rad will be in Tampa, FL. on May 24th at the Florida State Fairgrounds. Registration is $47 until 5/9/14. Start waves begin at 9:00 a.m. and are filling up fast.
There are two ways to get in on the action:
- Enter the giveaway below (Psst....I’ll do two giveaways in the next couple weeks) or
- Register Online (Don’t forget my discount code RAD4JENNIFER25 to save 25% off your registration fee)
If you'd like a chance to win ONE free registration just leave me a comment telling me if you've ever run a "color themed" race before. I'll pick a winner on Friday May 2nd.
I'd also love for you to join me, the Tampa Bay Bloggers and Color Me Rad in a Twitter party THIS Thursday May 1st, at 8pm EST. We'll be giving away 2 race registrations to the Tampa event!!